Friday, January 20, 2006

Signs of Intelligent Life

I stumbled across an article talking about the search for intelligent life in the universe just now. Must share this quote with you:

David Grinspoon: "If civilizations like ours were all over the galaxy, it would not be obvious. We are only listening, not broadcasting. We are not doing astroengineering. True, we are leaking sitcoms and beer commercials, but these are not easily detectable over most of the galaxy and certainly would not be interpreted as signs of true intelligence."

When I read that, I imagined two aliens having a conversation.

A1: Any signs of intelligent life out there yet?
A2: Nope. I thought I had something, but it turned out to be a false lead.
A1: What do you mean? It was just static that sounded like a transmission?
A2: No it was a transmission alright, faint but consistent. It consisted of creatures getting themselves into painful social situations through misunderstandings and escalating lies.
A1: That might signify intelligent life!
A2: I thought so too, until I saw images of a green slimy creature saying "Wazzaaaap!"
A1: Oh. That's too bad. It had some promise for sure.
A2: Yah. Back to the grind.
A1: I guess so. Hey, I'm going to grab a beer. You want one?
A2: Sure. Grab one for me while you're there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home