Sunday, June 13, 2010

Qole Needs A Job

They say it isn't what you know, but who you know that gets you a good job. Well, I know a great bunch of people in the mobile Linux world, and I'm hoping that you can help me find a great job. I've been helping out in the community since 2007, learning a lot about Linux and Maemo, and meeting some amazing people along the way. Now the economic downturn has given me an opportunity to try something new and exciting, and I want to take this chance to dive into the mobile Linux world as my career. If you want to know more about me or think you can help, please read the rest of this post, visit my LinkedIn page, e-mail me or PM me through my account at talk.maemo.org.

Things have been slowing down at my current job for a while now. As things have slowed down, I've been yearning for more of a challenge at work, but my volunteer work with various Maemo projects and the maemo.org community,  as well as my family life with a precocious preschooler has kept me busy enough.

But now I find myself part of a wave of lay-offs that has jolted me into a sharp awareness of my need to get into an interesting career. And one of the most interesting parts of my life for the last few years has been my work in and around the Maemo community. My hope is that I can turn my interesting hobby into a great career.

During my years with Maemo, I've become a very capable Linux hacker, shell script writer, Debian packager, and recently, a Python programmer. Through my day job, I have also become a decent PHP programmer and an expert SQL query writer. And in the last few weeks, I've decided to start teaching myself C++ and Qt, so I can participate fully in MeeGo when it bursts onto the scene and changes the mobile world.

The "other side" of me is my love of writing and communication. I'm a good technical writer and editor, and I'm good with helping people and technical support. My technical support ability is aided by my troubleshooting and diagnostic skills. It is important to me to document my discoveries and techniques so that others can learn and grow, too.

My two terms on the maemo.org community council taught me some important things, too. I came away from that experience more tactful, more diplomatic, and with a much deeper understanding of the complex problems facing Nokia as it moves into the open source world.

I'm smart, I'm a fast learner, and I love new challenges. I have EU citizenship, and I don't mind moving if the job is interesting.

Can you help me?

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Mon Jun 14, 02:32:00 am GMT-7, Blogger bunanson said...

Wish you the best,

bun

 
At Mon Jun 14, 07:35:00 am GMT-7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck, qole.

I RT'd this on Twitter, for what it's worth, and added my recommendation.

 
At Thu Jun 24, 04:48:00 pm GMT-7, Blogger Tim said...

All the best, I hope you find something interesting :)

 
At Wed Jun 30, 09:39:00 am GMT-7, Blogger Daniel said...

Have a look at Nokia.com/jobs. There are some interesting MeeGo positions here in Mt. View.

[]s
Daniel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home