Thursday, November 11, 2010

N900 Meego chroot part 3: polishing the process

In my first post in this series, I walked you through making a Meego chroot image from the raw images provided by Meego. In the second post, I gave you some rough scripts for starting the Meego UI in a Maemo chroot with the assistance of Easy Debian. In this post I'll present my new Meego image with the newest Meego UI and all the pieces installed to run without Easy Debian. I also present new scripts that streamline and improve the process.

The Image
I have posted a new Meego image (lzma compressed) on qole.org for you, meego_1_1_b.img.ext3.lzma. This image has been updated with newer components, and so the UI looks a bit different, and I have installed Xephyr and xbindkeys. I have also copied over wmctrl and the keyboard focus binaries. These pieces now make it possible to just use the Meego image to do everything, without opening the Easy Debian image at all.

The Scripts
I have posted new scripts, meegoscripts2.tgz:
  • I have improved the chrootmeego script to use variables, so you can customize how you run Meego.
  • I have added a new syncmeego script that copies over the necessary files from Maemo to Meego. I got most of this script from this Meego wiki page, and I honestly don't know what effect the copied files actually have on the chroot (except the resolv.conf file, which we already knew about).
  • I have enhanced the startmeegoui script, now called startmeegoui3. This script now starts the Xephyr nested X-Server inside Meego, gives it keyboard focus, and then starts the Meego UI. 
  • I have added a new script, gomee (clever name, eh?), that opens the Meego chroot, syncs it, and then starts the Meego UI.

Some interesting bits in the startmeegoui3 script:
export M_USE_SOFTWARE_RENDERING=1
R. Burchell was kind enough to point out after my second post that this environment variable makes all Meego apps start with software rendering. Apparently, that was all that stood in the way of getting most of the Meego apps to run.

/usr/bin/mdecorator -software -remote-theme 2>/dev/null &
echo "sleeping..."
sleep 10
echo "...ok now"

/usr/bin/duihome --desktop -software -remote-theme 2>/dev/null &
The bold lines are new. Adding the sleep command seems to fix the strange white band that was appearing across the top of the Meego home screen. I'm not sure why, but it works, so... there you go.


Still To Do

The media apps (photos and videos) do not work yet. More precisely, they work, but they can't find any media. I suspect that someone needs to show us how to start the media indexer to get them working.
The phone app doesn't work. If you try to start it, it complains about ofonod not being started. If ofonod is started, then the phone app just never starts at all.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Thu Nov 11, 06:45:00 pm GMT-8, Blogger juandp77 said...

OMG you are a genius I can't tell you how much I learned by reading your posts

 
At Fri Nov 12, 04:23:00 pm GMT-8, Blogger Unknown said...

i tried this since your 2 post, but it gives me Permission Denied.
I have rootsh and easydebian installed. I chmod a+x the scripts but then it gives me user not in sudoers file. Am i doing something wrong.

 
At Fri Nov 12, 09:31:00 pm GMT-8, Blogger juandp77 said...

could you please share some scripts to run your ubuntu.img.ext2 in xephyr like easy debian lxde

 
At Sat Nov 13, 01:11:00 am GMT-8, Blogger Unknown said...

Works great! However, for some reason it feels slower than before under Easy Debian, or perhaps I was just expected that it should run faster now and doesn't. Also, fennec no longer opens the javascript page http://www.debernardis.it/strade3-3.html, and it did in the last version, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it's fun to be able to be able to have a (superficial) look at how Meego is developing, so thanks for providing this Easy-Meego peephole!

 
At Sat Nov 13, 09:41:00 am GMT-8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this work!

I have a problem, though.
Both in this and previous version, instead of a black upper status bar in the main Meego screen, I get a white bar that hides 1/3 of the screen. Any idea which could be the problem and/or in which (log) files I could look up?

 
At Sat Nov 13, 10:52:00 am GMT-8, Blogger Qole Pejorian said...

toniher: see the post for my fix. I just put a sleep command in my script; perhaps you need to make the sleep pause even longer.

 
At Sat Nov 13, 12:16:00 pm GMT-8, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Qole,

my fault. I read too diagonally. Increasing the sleep time, it works :D

 
At Sun Nov 14, 09:05:00 am GMT-8, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice!
Can't wait to run Meego properly on my N900
Keep up the good work!

 
At Wed May 04, 08:40:00 am GMT-7, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge.
I successfully used your image at the time you published your post.
Yesterday, I tried to create a new image with meego 1.2 Developer Edition alfa release and part 1 instructions but when I try to chroot with latest scripts it complains on xbindkeys and loops trying to find wmctrl (startmeegoui3:l7).
How did you add those components to the last image. Copying binaries? Where?
Thanks a lot for what you already did and your future work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home